At Vanguard Vascular & Vein in Garland and Rowlett, Texas, we feature a state-of-the-art vascular lab staffed by highly experienced and certified registered vascular technologists. Patrick DeMuth, who is on the board for the Society for Vascular Ultrasound, heads our lab. Our on-site vascular lab offers advanced ultrasound imaging studies for the non-invasive diagnosis of vascular disease. A Doppler ultrasound scan shows how well blood is flowing through the veins and arteries, which can help detect blockages.
In-Office Diagnostics include:
- Carotid artery duplex – This ultrasound scan is performed on carotid (neck) arteries to detect carotid artery disease, or blockages in the arteries to the brain that may increase the risk of stroke (cerebrovascular disease).
- Aortic artery duplex – This ultrasound scan is performed on the aortic artery to detect an aortic aneurysm, a ballooning of the aortic artery that can be fatal when it ruptures. The aorta, the largest artery in the body, carries blood from the heart to the rest of the body.
- Renal artery duplex – This ultrasound scan is performed on renal (kidney) arteries to detect circulatory disorders of the kidneys that cause renal artery disease, including hypertension (high blood pressure) or kidney failure.
- Mesenteric duplex – This ultrasound scan is performed on mesenteric arteries (vessels that deliver blood to the intestines) to detect disorders of circulation to the intestines, or mesenteric arterial disease.
- Venous duplex of the extremities – This ultrasound scan is performed on veins in the arms and legs to detect Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT), or blood clots in the veins that could migrate to the lungs.
- Arterial duplex of the extremities – This ultrasound scan is performed on veins in the arms and legs to detect Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD), or blockages in circulation to the arms or legs due to atherosclerosis or other diseases.
- Segmental limb pressures – This test uses blood pressure measurements taken at multiple levels on the arms or legs to help detect blockages in the arteries of the extremities.
Although these studies are typically requested by a referring physician, Vanguard Vascular & Vein also provides vascular disease health screenings for the community, including the following:
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) screening using the ankle/brachial index (ABI), an ultrasound that takes blood pressure measurements at the arms and ankles
- Stroke screening using carotid ultrasound
- Aneurysm screening using aortic ultrasound
For more information, or to schedule an appointment with one of our vascular surgeons in our Garland or Rowlett, Texas office, call Vanguard Vascular & Vein at (972) 487-1818.6:06 pm